Home » Self-Assessment Essay

Self-Assessment Essay

Writing for the Sciences is a class that will be in my memories for a very long time. In this class I had opportunities to experiences views and opinions from others, meet the authors of works we read in class and most of all I was able to grow as reader and become more capable to understand and analyze others works as a result of that.

In writing my metaphor essay, I compared two metaphors and analyzed how they affect human nature and everyday life. It forced me to develop skills of analyzing I previously did not have. Before doing that assignment, I thought metaphors were very much “just sayings” and held little meaning. As it turns out I was very wrong. I learned that the slightest details in any story can be some of the most powerful things in the story in an indirect way. I found that writers can use many different things to influence and tech the reader a lesson with a story. Applying these new found skills to old works and rereading them is quite eye-opening. Some works are a lot more powerful to me than they use to be and hold a lot more meaning.

My lab report analysis was a group project. At first in no way, shape or form did I want to participate in that. I thought that i worked better alone and working with others would only complicate what I had to do. What I took away from that assignment is that group work can actually make things easier. Being lucky enough to have the group I did allowed for collective creativity. Ideas easily flowed out with the group and with four people the assignment required much less work, with the labor being split between four. It made me look forward to doing group work again and meeting more of my peers.

The rhetorical analysis essay I wrote was a great cherry on top to end the semester. In analyzing an essay about obesity, I learned that there can be great severity within what some people would view a small problem. I was allowed to utilize the skills I learned in the metaphor paper in order to gain a greater, more in depth understanding of the article I analyzed. Although I felt I understood the article, I took a lab report like approach toward the article. Although, there was that error in the essay, I believe I still was able to clearly explain what the author was trying to do with the article and show the various techniques the author used to get his point across.

Something else I learned to appreciate throughout the year is the input of others. throughout the semester my class had many discussions in an open cirlce style. I learned the different views and thoughts my peers had on subjects we spoke about and I was able to apply that to form my own opinions on a subject. It helps knowing the different ends of stories so, we can collectively form thoughts rather than individually, because that can lead to better solutions to issues for everyone.

Overall, throughout the semester in, Writing for the Sciences I gained some strong writing and analytical skills. I learned about others and their views which in turn helped me shape my thoughts and views. These advancements helped me to become a better writer and hopefully in the future i can utilize these skills to write stronger more thought out and developed pieces. I’m thankful for everyone in the class and for everything I learned.